Tuesday, February 15, 2011

T Minus 2 Hours

Well, I am sitting at my gate and will be boarding in about 90 minutes. Luke and I came to the airport really early, but it turned out for the best...

As I was checking in on those self-serve kiosks, I received an error on the screen stating to see a Delta representative and that I could not be checked in at this time. First I thought, "oh, I bet we just came too early" and the kiosks are programmed to only check in passengers who are departing within a certain time limit. Well, after five minutes of the representative making disturbing faces at her monitor, and then after ten minutes of her being on the phone, I finally received my boarding passes. It turned out that my connecting flight wasn't officially confirmed and the international help desk had to confirm it for me. I don't think I've ever been that calm in a situation like that before. This trip to Africa is already changing me, and I haven't even boarded the plane yet!

Thanks to all of you who received the last minute invite and attended my farewell party this past Sunday. Your show of support truly meant so much to me. It was supposed to be a short, quiet evening of dessert, wine, and conversation; and I ended up getting home at around 2:00am after doing a little karaoke. I did not expect to stay up that late, but again, it turned out to be for the better. I was so tired by the time I got off work on Monday that I took a two hour nap and then stayed up the entire night last night in order to start acclimating myself to the Kenya time zone.

This morning, I ran a few errands...post office, goodwill, DMV (as my license is going to expire while I am away). Then, Luke and I went to--my favorite--Wilde Roast, and had the BREAKFAST TACOS! Best choice for my last American meal before departing for Kenya!

Just an FYI, I suspended my cell phone service about an hour ago. So, if you try to leave a message or text me, I will not receive it....ever. Send me an email, post on Facebook, or comment on my blog if you want to reach me.

Finally, here is a picture of the two bags I will have while I am in Kenya. In addition to this, I am also bringing a bag over for Michael, as well as a second carry on of gifts for the kids at Daylight and various hosts and community leaders. But all I will be responsible for while I am there is the backpack and my carry-on sized piece of luggage.

1 comment: