Saturday, February 12, 2011

T Minus 1 Weekend

This past week leading up to my departure has been a busy one.

Thank you Harley, Samuel, and Stephen for sharing your wisdom. Being that eight weeks is a very short time in which to do ethnographic research, I am so grateful for the time you all took to speak with me and share tips on how to focus my research. I have been physically packed and ready for this trip for a few weeks, but now I also feel better prepared mentally to carry out my academic purposes for going. My husband, Luke, has also been a big help: offering to run some of my errands for me.

Before and After
Today, I also had my hair cut by Andre at Andre Franca Studio. I decided to cut my hair really short so that I did not need to do it every day and because of how hot it is in Kenya. The temperatures right now are in the high 80s during the day, and mid 60s in the evening. Because Kenya is closer in proximity to the sun than we are in North America, I have been advised to wear sunblock, even underneath my clothing. As some may know from last year's Fourth of July weekend, I burn quite easily, and will consider such suggestions carefully.

Tomorrow, I will officially finish packing by cramming the surveys I've prepared into what space remains in my carry-on bag, and spray down my pants and long-sleeved clothing with insecticide. What fun!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rachel, we in Kenya are looking forward to see you. Krop, Alfonso and I ( Michael) will be at the JKIA airport, Nairobi to receive you. Yes, welcome to Kenya!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your hair!! It looks great and you and will be so practical in Kenya. Joel's cousin shaved her hair almost completely before heading to Africa and it worked well for her. Plus, she was not out of place with the local girls' hair styles. :) Have a good last couple days before heading out.

    ReplyDelete