Sunday, February 6, 2011

Dedication

Cousins Rebekah and Natalie, me, and Granny.
Taken 12/27/2010.
I am dedicating this research trip to my grandmother, Elizabeth Lee Woodard, who passed away on January 29, 2011. She was always a source of great support for my education and academic endeavors.

Elizabeth had her fair share of traveling during her lifetime, and I feel as if I have inherited her love of experiencing new people and places. She was also strong in her Christian faith, and it is my hope that I will encounter people on my trip in Kenya who live out their religious convictions just as faithfully as she did each day.

With just over one week before I head to the airport, I have only a few more things to tend to before I am ready to go. Later this week, I am meeting with two of my former Anthropology professors from Bethel University. I value their wisdom and last-minute advice in how to do anthropological research, or what we call ethnography or field work. Specifically, I hope they can give me an estimate on how many copies I should print of the survey I have prepared to distribute! I will also be meeting with my advisor from the University of Minnesota; I trust he will help me keep the big picture of my thesis project in mind, as I am sure I will become interested in things during my travels that are not directly related to my thesis.

Lastly, I will be getting my hair cut next weekend! I plan to cut it quite short, so that it is one less thing I need to worry about while I am there. I will be sure to post a picture, although, I'm sure there will be a number of pictures posted during my trip that will feature the new do.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, we don't know each other well. But from one social science junkie to another, I wish you all the best! I hope it is great experience!

    ReplyDelete